Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Google Chromebook Build, Torture Test, 4-months later

Summary

Pros

  • Extremely durable (drops, water spills)
  • Still boots fast, works fast
  • Battery still holds charge well

Cons

  • "Cheap" design
  • Holding the Chromebook by the left or right corners next to the touchpad can interfere with moving the mouse, clicking
  • Doesn't perform well while loading multiple websites

Durability level of Chromebook Series 3

Introduction

This is a follow-up to the review on the Chromebook Series 3 I wrote back in September of 2013. I've had my Chromebook Series 3 since July of 2013, and wanted to share some of my experiences with this device. And to be clear, I bought this device with my own money, and am not getting paid to review anything beyond aid traffic to this site (though it would be awesome if that was the case).

Don't think I'm not willing to sellout and drive a Google version of the Red Bull car.

Discussion

Well, the Chromebook has held up really well. I don't know if it's because it's so light in weight, or because it's so cheap in price, but this Chromebook has been through more abuse than all of my other electronic devices combined. It's fallen of tables, been sat upon, been thrown onto hardwood flooring, and has come through with only cosmetic damage.

Starting to look as beat-up as Boba Fett's armor. Note that the right corner hinge piece is crooked because it came off completely after one fall, and I just popped it back into place: ugly, but it works.

Despite my unintentional torture test, the Chromebook has just kept chugging along. It's especially great for use while lying down, checking emails or browsing videos. I think it outshines a tablet in that situation, due to the fact that since it is in a laptop form, you can prop it up more easily to view when you're too lazy to sit up.



Conclusion

My Chromebook still boots fast, holds charge well, and does what I want it to do despite all the abuse. Only complaints I have (beyond the "cheap" build which I don't care about given the insanely low price) are few. One is that the touch pad will not work well if you are lifting the Chromebook solely by the left or right corners next to the touch pad. The other is that loading and response becomes slow if you start opening multiple tabs at once (understandable with limited RAM, same problems with tablets).

I think the Chromebook is great; only problem is that I've ended up using it more than my parents, who were the intended recipients...

No comments:

Post a Comment