Monday, July 8, 2013

Using Virgin Mobile Mobile Broadband in San Francisco


Summary

Pros

  • "Unlimited" 4G data usage
  • No contract
  • Cheap, easy-to-use devices

Cons

  • Limited 3G data usage
  • Sprint coverage
  • Two options for mobile broadband: USB stick, or mobile hotspot

FYI, Virgin America and Virgin Mobile are part of the same company (Virgin Group Ltd.)

Introduction

If you're looking for no contract phone choices, companies like Virgin Mobile and Boost Mobile (and increasingly Ting!) are well-known choices. However, I Virgin Mobile's offer of "unlimited" 4G mobile broadband had me considering if this could be a viable option for my internet requirements both at home and on the move.

A big drawback of most mobile broadband solutions is that there is a limit on how much data you can use each month (vs. unlimited home internet that is available in the San Francisco Bay Area). For Virgin Mobile, you can choose to pay for a variety of options depending on your usage, (200 MB, 2 GB, or 5 GB per month of 3G). However, a nice feature is that you can get unlimited 4G connectivity, with the caveat that usage over 10 GB per month will be throttled.

Virgin Mobile coverage map for San Francisco. 3G/4G WiMAX in blue, 3G alone in orange.

Discussion

After checking to ensure that I lived in a 4G area, I ordered a U600 (a USB mobile hotspot), which came quickly in two days with free shipping. Set-up and activation were easy, and the device has two lights: one for 3G, one for 4G, so you know what network you're connected to.

A USB mobile hotspot, similar to what Virgin Mobile offers.

A big issue right away was that I was not able to connect to the 4G network. After a call to Virgin Mobile, I discovered two things. First, though I knew Virgin Mobile used the Sprint network, cell phones connect to the 4G LTE network, mobile broadband devices connect to the 4G WiMAX network. Secondly, I lived in an area with Fair 4G WiMAX coverage, not Best 4G WiMAX coverage (light blue vs. dark blue). Thus, I was unable to get 4G coverage indoors (and therefore was unable to easily take advantage of Virgin Mobile's unlimited 4G offer.

Note that for 4G data, there is two categories: "Best" and "Fair." If you live in a "Fair" area, you will only get 4G data outside your home/building :(


Everything else worked great--I was able to track my usage through my Virgin Mobile account, the data usage seemed to be in order, and speeds were good. While all the basics worked fine, I ultimately returned the device because I was not able to get unlimted 4G.

Conclusion

If you live in an area with "Best" 4G WiMAX, I recommend looking into Virgin Mobile Mobile Broadband as a supplement (and potential replacement) for your home and mobile internet.

Virgin Mobile didn't work for me where I'm living, but I think it's a great service. I'd also like to acknowledge the work that CEO Richard Branson is doing. Though he's a billionaire, he's no means the richest man around, yet he's developed Virgin Mobile, Virgin America, and a ton of other companies and businesses. Compared to a lot of other wealthy individuals, he seems to be driven to create something of value in the world for the public. I admit I admire the man, and hope he keeps doing what he's doing.

Virgin Mobile CEO, Sir Richard Branson, out on the water.

"Sir" Branson again.


No comments:

Post a Comment